Ah, Friends. At this point, we probably all know the series like the backs of our hands. But what if we gave it a little Brummie update? What would the iconic characters be like? Where would they hang out?
From next month (July 8), you can envision this IRL, as The FRIENDS™ Experience takes over the National Exhibition Centre. Following success in the US and Belgium, the immersive experience lets you step right into the programme yourself with props, set recreations and much more. For now though, we’ve used our imagination for The One Where Friends Comes To Birmingham.
1. Forget Central Perk; it would be pints down the pub
Plain and simple, rather than heading to Central Perk, the characters would set up shop day in, day out in one of Birmingham’s many pubs. Perhaps they’d have a cosy corner in the Actress & Bishop? If they did fancy a coffee in a cafe though, there are still plenty to choose from.
2. Joey would still play Dr Drake Ramoray…
but he’d be in Doctors instead.
3. And his catchphrase wouldn’t be “how you doin’?”
It would be “You all right, bab?”
4. The group wouldn’t get locked on the roof while watching the stars
Instead, they’d head up to one of Birmingham’s rooftop bars to enjoy the sky’s show with a drink in hand (very Rachel, right?), or perhaps to The Library Of Birmingham’s secret rooftop garden, if Ross got his way.
5. Ross and Emily’s short-lived love story would start very differently
Forget the opera; they would’ve attended an event at The Hippodrome, followed by an impromptu weekend away in the Peak District or Shropshire. Oh, and Phoebe would have totally been able to attend the wedding in London.
6. Monica would work at Grace & Savour
The newly appointed Michelin-starred restaurant would be the ideal high-end setting for Monica to run a kitchen. Having recently joined five other Michelin-starred spots in the Birmingham area, the 15-course tasting menu would offer plenty of plates for Monica to show off her cooking prowess. The downside though; Janice would be right there in front of the open kitchen to complain about the chicken…
7. ‘Smelly Cat’ would be a well-known tune in the city centre
Phoebe would be out and about busking for sure.
8. Rachel would shop ’til she drops at the Bullring
From Mango to Michael Kors, TK Maxx to Ted Baker, and of course Selfridges, she’d have a whole lot of options.
9. The Thanksgiving football game would be way more modern
The group would go head to head at one of Birmingham’s gaming bars – it is 2023, after all.
10. Chandler would move to Walsall to break up with Janice
No Yemen for him.